Ways to Help
Raising pledges is one of the most important things you can do to help Wigs for Kids BC. Not only are you raising money to help provide a wig for a child living with cancer, but you are also helping to spread the word about our program.
There are many ways to raise pledges. Challenge yourself, or make a game of it with friends and collect pledges for W4K in honour of your effort. Every little bit helps.
- Donate your ponytail
- Do laps around the track
- Swim lengths
- Jump rope
- Hold a walkathon
Download a pledge form now and get started!Download Pledge Form
How can I raise pledges?
Tell your friends, family and co-workers about your upcoming haircut/challenge/games day. Take your pledge form with you wherever you go.
Set up your own fundraising page through the BC Children's Hospital website. It's easy! Connect to the Wigs for Kids BC donating page and set your page up now.
Put the word out on social media! Let everyone know about your intention to raise money for W4K prior to your haircut or challenge. Be sure to include a link to your fundraising page. If you plan to donate your hair, take a "before" photo of your long hair and post it. Everyone will be anxious to see your "after" photo and find out how many pledges you raised.
Donating your ponytail is a wonderful way to help us provide more wigs for kids. It takes approximately 10 to 12 ponytails to make one wig. Hair donors are encouraged to raise pledges prior to their haircut.
Hair donations help to reduce the cost of making wigs and raising pledges helps us pay for them.
For more information please see Raising Pledges.
Mail your ponytail to:
Wigs for Kids BC
c/o Eva & Co Wigs
3216 Oak Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 2L3
Hair can be placed in an envelope and mailed to Wigs for Kids at the address above. We would be happy to mail you a thank you certificate please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and mailing address for same. We are sorry but at this time receipt of hair donation can not be acknowledged.
*PLEASE NOTE IN ORDER TO BE ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE DO NOT SEND HAIR IN ANY PLASTIC BAGS.
Hair Donation Criteria
- Hair should be a minimum of 10 inches long (please pull curly hair straight to measure).
- Hair must be clean and dry prior to cutting.
- Donations MUST be tightly bound in ponytails, secured at the top end only, with an elastic band.
- Sorry, but we are unable to accept hair that is currently coloured or permed.
- Grey hair is acceptable.
- We accept NEW HAIR only. HAIR THAT HAS BEEN CUT AND HELD ON TO FOR MORE THAN THREE MONTHS is no longer useable.
- If you have any further questions please do not call Evas. Send us an email with your question email@example.com
Monetary donations are greatly appreciated!
You can donate by clicking one of the Donate Now! buttons, or mail a cheque to the following address:
Wigs for Kids BC
c/o BC Children's Hospital Foundation
938 28th Ave W
Vancouver BC V5Z 4H4
A tax receipt will be issued automatically by B.C. Children's Hospital for donations of $20 or more.
Our supporters have found many creative ways to raise funds for Wigs for Kids BC at school and at work. Here are some examples:
- Plan a Wigs for Kids Hair Donation Assembly
Plan an assembly where one or more students and/or teachers will publicly donate their hair. Publicize it well in advance throughout the school and send notices home to parents. Those planning to donate their hair will raise pledges up until the day of their big haircut. For more information, please see Raising Pledges.
- Host a Wigs for Kids Fundraising Day
Create a carnival atmosphere at lunchtime with games, a bake sale and lemonade stand, with all proceeds going to W4K.
- Host a Bottle Drive
- Silent Auction
Add a silent auction to an existing workplace social event with all proceeds going to W4K.
- Donation Tins
Place a donation tin in your lunchroom, at your reception desk, or checkout counter. Establish an annual "W4K donation tin week or month" so your customers know when you will be raising money for W4K.
- Donate Partial Proceeds of a Product or Service
Read more about this under Partner with Wigs for Kids BC
Wigs for Kids BC is interested in partnering with businesses whose cause-related marketing goals are in harmony with ours.
How Does it Work?
Choose a product or service to promote and then donate full or partial proceeds from it for a limited or continuing time to W4K.
Simply spread the word about your promotion (and we will too!) Not only is it great low-cost advertising but it will also communicate to your clients that you care about your community.
- Enhance your corporate image
- Communicate your social responsibility
- Directly impact children in your community
- Build customer loyalty and generate new sales
- Take advantage of Wigs for Kids' network and allow us to promote your business for you via our website, social media, newspaper submissions and more!
For more information, or to set up a partnership, contact Bev Friesen at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Some Specific Campaign Ideas
- Retail establishments or restaurants can donate a percentage of sales of a specific item for a limited or continuing time.
- Restaurants can create a special feature menu with a flat amount going to W4K each time a feature item is ordered.
- Licensed professionals can donate a percentage of their hourly fee or a flat rate per new client visit.
- Golf courses can donate a portion of each green fee or private lesson booked. Or, create a time limited W4K golf & dine package.
Adopt Wigs for Kids BC as your company's charity of choice, then introduce a Corporate Matching Program for your team.
Many companies have incorporated corporate social responsibility into their workplace culture and made it an integral part of doing business. One way to encourage staff to engage in activities that benefit the community is to tangibly support their efforts.
Establishing a policy to match the funds raised by your staff is a powerful incentive for them to fundraise for a charity close to their hearts - such as helping to provide a wig for a child living with cancer.
All donations made to Wigs for Kids BC are processed by BC Children's Hospital Foundation. The foundation issues a charitable donation receipt automatically for donations of $20 or more.